What’s Happening Now
January 1st, 2018 marked the start of our 38th year!!! This Newsletter explains some of the history of Good Works.
Updated January 22, 2018
We have recently changed our email to email@example.com
- Why donate a car to Good Works? This article explains some of the little known facts behind the nationwide car donation program. You may be surprised at what you read here.
- This article was published on January 5th by Ohio University about Good Works. It tells the story of how Good Works was selected from 80 local non-profits to receive a grant from Warren Buffett’s Learning by Giving Foundation.
- Our 2017 photo newsletter is here
- WE are preparing for the Saturday, February 24, 2018 Good Works WALK which takes place here in Athens. The WALK starts with registration at 8:30 am at the First United Methodist Church (on 2 South College Street in Athens). We have five different WALK experiences planned this year for adults and children.
INTERNSHIPS 2018 – Building a Community of HOPE!
Good Works internship opportunities for 2018 are explained here. Maybe you know someone who would benefit from an internship with Good Works!
HALLOWED GROUND is our agricultural internship for anyone interested in joining our community for 8 months in 2018. We seek to grow healthy and nutritional food for our neighbors, especially those who are widows or struggling with a disability as we study, worship and learn together about growing food. Know someone who has a passion for agriculture and wants to grow in their faith and use that passion to care for the poor? Would you pass this opportunity on?
APPALACHIAN IMMERSION INTERNSHIP begins in mid January 2018. Interns live in the Hannah House and are offered a wide range of hands-on experience within the ministries of Good Works.
SUMMER SERVICE. We are now accepting applications for Summer Service 2018, a 9 week opportunity to grow in love. Interns live in the Hannah House located on the Good Works property and serve in a wide range of different ways all focused on discipleship and leadership development.
WEEK OF SERVICE is a short term internship we offer to anyone, age 16 or older who would like to come to Good Works for a week and join us. Know someone who might enjoy spending a week with us this year? Encourage them to contact us for an application. Week of Service participants stay in the Hannah House and are included in most of the activities going on including Neighbors Helping Neighbors, Life Together, and Friday Night Life. They volunteer at The Timothy House and participate in the Good Works staff meetings.
2017 NEWS …
FRIDAY NIGHT LIFE will enter year 25 next spring. We started Friday Night Life in 1993 when we invited residents of The Timothy House back for dinner on Friday’s after they moved out. We have built long-term relationships across generational lines and across the lines of class. This community reveals an amazing ‘coming together’ of people from all walks of life. For six months each year FNL meets on the Good Works property and for six months we meet in the Family Life Center of The Plains UM Church. On a low day, FNL hosts about 75-90 and on a high day about 140-150. Adults are building mentoring relationships with children and teens. The youngest participant is less than 1 year and the oldest participant is around 93 years old. We are so thankful for the life-giving community FNL has become for so many people. To God be the glory!
We hosted our 5th annual one-day conference called GOING DEEPER last November. It was wonderful! We are so thankful that so many people were interested in the workshops we presented about justice for fatherless children, developing a theology of work, justice for the widow, walking with people in recovery and welcoming the stranger. We also presented on (1) Worship as the Primary Paradigm of Mission and (2) What it Means to Strengthen the Weak. Love God, Love people. Do stuff. Please join us in the fall of 2018 for another Going Deeper.
- On an average year, we host around 40 groups who come to Athens, stay in our dorms and participate in Neighbors Helping Neighbors. Last year, we visited and served 61 families or individuals, and led around 225 different projects at their homes! Maybe you’d like to explore a conversation about bringing a group for a week or weekend this year?
- This talk was recently given in Little Rock Arkansas. It is one of five different presentations Keith gave in late April 2017. It begins with a film clip where Jesus speaks as recorded in Matthew 25:31-46.
- Here is our document Good Works By the Numbers 2017.
- Click here to view a short video on the Good Works Timothy House Weekend Volunteer Opportunity.
- If you are not already connected with us on Facebook, we want to encourage you to “friend us” and receive updates on Good Works each week.
Every Friday Night, Good Works provides 35-45 individuals and families with “take home” food. People sign up during Friday Night Life and the food is provided at 7:30 pm each week. Want to do a food drive for Good Works?
Good Works recently provided car #164 to another participant in the Transformation Station! As people donate cars to us, we are able to provide them to people who need them and who are willing to volunteer their time to serve others in the community.
The community of Good Works facilitates experiences for about 1,100 volunteers each year. Last spring, we hosted another Community Development Affirmation Day and expressed our gratitude for the volunteers who serve with us. Participants in The Timothy House, Friday Night Life, Neighbors Helping Neighbors, Kids Club, and Good Works Gardens attended. Our next Community Development Day is planned for Saturday morning, February 3, 2018.
THE 16TH ANNUAL GOOD WORKS WALK is scheduled for Saturday, February 24th, 2018. About 400 adults and children participated in five educational and inspirational WALK experiences in 2017. We feel so thankful for all the encouragement and support we received. Our financial goal for 2017 was to raise $60,000 to provide about 1/3 of the total costs to operate The Timothy House. The 2017 WALK raised about $40,000. We are grateful!
2016 NEWS …
- We found these five recent audio presentations on poverty in America to be very helpful in terms of increasing our understanding and perspective on the very complex issues involved with being poor in this country.
- This hour-long talk by Keith Wasserman was recorded on Sunday, September 18th. This is the story of Good Works and some of the basic foundational principals of the ministry God has trusted us with.
- Andrea Horsch and Keith Wasserman have written an essay entitled Good Works Timothy House Beyond the Numbers (released February 2016). This essay offers perspective and analysis on some of the numbers we have been compiling for the past 9 years.
- LISTEN to a short audio story about the Good Works Timothy House!
2015 NEWS …
- On Sunday, October 25th, Good Works held a public presentation/conversation with the people of Athens County to talk about the way in which we provide shelter, changes we have instituted, and our desire to continue to be a good neighbor as we operate the only home for people without homes in 8 rural Southeast Ohio Counties. The event took place at Central Avenue UM Church (westside) and was followed by an Open House at the Timothy House.
- Check out this video about the summer at Good Works produced by Priscilla Thomas.
- Ohio Today, a publication of Ohio University for alumni, published a two page article entitled Embodying The Humanitarian Spirit about the work of Good Works and Keith Wasserman. You can find it on page 37.
- This talk “Community Is The Means By Which We Carry Out Mission” was given by Keith Wasserman last spring at River of Life Community Church in Hudson, Ohio.
- This 30+minute interview with Keith was recorded by Gospel Neighboring.
2014 NEWS …
- Keith and Darlene Wasserman are opening their home to men, women and children the Timothy House can not assist based on space limitations. They provided 143 nights of shelter at their home last year. This initiative, called Sign of HOPE started in February 2013. Each night the Wasserman’s go to the Timothy House and walk over to their home with the residents they are assisting. Sign of HOPE has two bedrooms and can assist up to five people at one time. The city of Athens does not have any laws regarding how many guests a home owner can have in their home or how long they can stay.
- Thanks to our friends from Grove City United Methodist Church, The Good Works property has a N E W greenhouse.
- Twelve minutes with Keith Wasserman. This 12 minute video was recorded in August as Keith provided an overview of Good Works to conference in Chicago.
- Click here to see a new downloadable PDF entitled GOOD WORKS BY THE NUMBERS.
- This 45 minute presentation on the biblical vision of Good Works with given by Keith to the Church of the Messiah in Xenia.
- 2014 marked the 20th year of the Good Works Luhrig Road property. This property was purchased in 1994 and ushered in the beginning of the ‘debt free’ era.
- 2014 marked the 30th anniversary of the Timothy House which was purchased in 1984. Since 1984, Good Works has provided more than 110,000 nights of shelter at The Timothy House.
2013 NEWS …
- The community of FRIDAY NIGHT LIFE celebrated our 20th anniversary in May. This monumental event was attended by a LOT of people even though it was raining and we lost power for the whole evening. We began FNL in the spring of 1993 and held the event at Central Avenue United Methodist Church for about eight years before moving to The Plains United Methodist Church. Today, FNL is held on the Good Works property for six months and at the Plains UMC for six months. We are always seeking groups to sponsor one meal each year.
- Our new trail dedication took place in October on the Good Works property. In addition to the beautiful hiking experiences enjoyed by adults and children of all ages, the event honored John Knouse who donated more than 500 hours of his time overseeing hundreds of volunteers during the past few years.
- The United Methodist Church conducted a series of interviews with our staff which resulted in this on-line article.
Keith speaks about 50-80 times a year around the US on many topics related to the ministry God has trusted us with. This talk was given at Asbury Theological Seminary’s Kingdom Conference:
You can save this sermon and listen to it later. Just right-click the media player and select “save as” to save the file to your computer.
- We have developed a seminar entitled “The Gospel to the Poor — A Practical Biblical Theology.” For the handouts for this seminar, click here.
- Matt and Beverly Hale have written a unique bible study on Righteousness and Justice. This study was originally developed as a workshop for University Students associated with the Navigators and has been adapted for Good Works. It is available here: A_study_in_Justice_and_Righteousness. Matt and Beverly were on the Good Works staff for several years working with Friday Night Life and our Life on Life mentoring program. They currently live and labor in ministry in inner-city Detroit, Michigan.
- Would it surprise you to learn that Good Works has struggled to find funding for the ministry God has entrusted to us with here in SE Ohio? Take a look at these statistics and you may be surprised to learn what we have discovered. If you know of a foundation which funds the kind of projects we are committed to, please email us or contact 740.594.3339. To read about the Reality of Fundraising in SE Ohio, click here.