What to Bring
Things to Bring Checklist
As you are planning, keep in mind the following circumstances:
- Winter months of January and February can be quite cold. The house you will be staying in is heated with wood.
- Spring can be cool and wet at times but generally quite nice.
- Summer is hot and often humid. The dorm rooms have air conditioners in them with ceiling fans.
- Fall is usually a beautiful time of the year in Athens.
- Work that you will be doing. The group leader will have a general idea of the work you will be doing about a week prior to your visit.
- The particular needs of your group and the recommendations of your leader.
What to bring:
It is recommended that you put your name on anything you bring. Here is a general list of items we have found to be essential to group participants:
- Five questions to ask the staff of Good Works. Before you come, explore our website to learn more about us.
- Sleeping Bag or Bed Linens
- Work Jeans
- Work Shirts (old sweatshirts or t-shirts, NO tank tops)
- A “whatever” attitude “–Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Colossians 3:17)
- Work shoes or boots
- Work gloves with your name on them
- Appropriate sleeping attire
- Casual and Comfortable clothes
- Hat (if desired)
- A camera. Please share your photos with us. Before you leave, let us download them.
- Soap and Shampoo
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Sun Screen
- Water Bottle with your name on it
- Notebook/journal and pen
- A commitment to unity among yourself and others in the group
- If you bring your own tools, make sure they are clearly marked with your name
- Signed Volunteer Releases
- You may be going swimming while you are in the area. Check with your leader.
What not to bring:
You will have limited space to keep your personal items. Therefore, bring as little as possible with you. The list below will help you to use that space wisely and make the most out of your experience with us.
- Personal CD Players, Radios, TV’s, Tape Players, ipods, mp3s, laptops – Since this is a group event, you will be interacting as a group. These devices separate individuals from the group and hinder the development of community. Whatever you do bring use only during your private times. Consult with your group leader for their specific guideline.
- Personal Food items – these are not permitted in the dorm rooms.
- Tank tops, short shorts, revealing clothing, shorts with writing across the rear.
- Fireworks, Weapons, Expensive jewelry
- Something you do not want to loose
Please read the following in preparation for your time of service with us.